How to Effectively use WebP for Shopify Speed Optimization
Bhavesha | Dec 20, 2021 | 5 min reads
Following are some points related to WebP images for shopify speed optimization –
- How to upload WebP images in shopify
- JPG Images instead of WebP images
- What are the benefits of WebP image format for the shopify store?
It will be helpful to understand WebP images for shopify speed optimization and to maintain it based on the content below. The content below derives from our experience executing over 50+ speed optimization projects on Shopify websites.
What is WebP?
It is a next-generation image file format that offers exceptional compression capabilities. This is a superior image format developed by Google. for web images, it supports lossless compression and lossy compression (as well as transparency). When you’re attempting to compress an image, you should use WebP.
Shopify internally converts images and delivers them in webP if coding is done properly. WebP is the encoding technique that needs almost 40% less file size to display a similar image compared to JPG.
How Does your Shopify Website Serve WebP Images?
You can easily check whether your shopify store is successfully serving WebP images.
On any browser, this will be described in a very similar manner. However, we will demonstrate it on Chrome in this example.
- Add images from your store to a page.
- Go to the Chrome menu, go to more tools, and then click on Developer tools.
- When you refresh the page and click on network, you will see the rendered image format.
Can I use WebP images in Shopify?
When you upload your files in JPG or PNG format, Shopify will serve them in WebP format for all supported browsers (Chrome, Safari, and Opera).
If your customer’s browser does not support WebP,shopify will display JPG format automatically. In all other cases, however, a webP file format will be loaded, there is no option to disable it manually.
WebP is simply superior to JPEG and will improve the performance of your store.
You will see that you are downloading a web file when you right-click an image of your Shopify Store. How do you convert that to a JPG?
You have two options:
- You can open your store with a browser that does not support WebP. (Internet Explorer).
- You can use Windows by renaming the file extension to .jpg.
Benefits of WebP Image Format For Shopify Store
- i) Faster loading of Shopify stores
- ii) Reducing the size of the image with no effort
- iii) Images of high quality
- iv) support animation and transparency
What are the Disadvantages of WebP?
Why do we still use other image formats if WebP is so amazing?
- There are some browsers that do not support webP.
- Finding an image editor software can be challenging (Visual Editor).
Using WebP for Shopify speed optimization is a powerful way to reduce the loading time of your website and improve the user experience. you can ensure that your website loads quickly and provides a positive user experience for your visitors. Additionally, using WebP will result in small file sizes and faster loading times.
(One time fee)
Desktop Performance Score 80+
Improved Mobile Performance Score
Upto 3 secs load time
(One time fee)
Basic Optimization Plan +
Pass core web Vitals*
Upto 2 secs load time
*May require design and functionality changes
#Blog Pages are not part of Optimization Scope
Leave A Comment